Saturday, July 19, 2008

Del.icio.us is Better than Good!

For several weeks now, I have been using Del.icio.us for a graduate class and I am sold on the concept. At first I was skeptical, but after using it for a while, I am a convert.

For those of you who may not be aware of Del.icio.us, it’s a “social bookmarking” tool. It allows the user to post bookmarks to a website. The user can login to Del.icio.us and view his/her bookmarks from any computer, anywhere.

Additionally, Del.icio.us allows you to “tag” each site with descriptors that are meaningful to you. It’s a very useful process because it allows for easy access to the desired bookmark information.

The social part of the site is that you can share your bookmarks with others. My grad class has put this to use because we have created common tags for major course topics. We can see what classmates have discovered about the topics and take advantage of the information. The applications for sharing bookmarks are numerous. Science teachers, for example, can share sites they’ve discovered that help students make meaning of the content. This could be done on a school, county or state level if common tags are developed.

One of these days when I have a little free time, I want to streamline the tag names I have chosen and clean up the site names so that they are obvious and clear. I believe it will be a worthwhile investment of my time, because Del.icio.us has the only bookmark list I need.

For more background go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del.icio.us

If you haven’t checked out Del.icio.us, I highly recommend that you do. Give it a try!

1 comment:

Scott Mooney said...

I CAN REMEMBER YOUR FACE WHEN I STARTED INTRODUCING THE IDEA OD DELICIOUS!!!!! This is wonderful! I am so glad to hear that you are liking this tool. We knew some of you would take it and some would leave it so it is wonderful to hear that you are really enjoying its abilities.

Your comment about streamlining tag names is so important. I just did a web search and came up totally empty. The two of us can't be the only ones thinking about this.

-SM

-SM