Monday, July 14, 2008

Digital Imaging Software

As an absolute novice using PhotoShop Elements, I am really amazed at what it can do. I watched several tutorials in order to get started because there are a number of intimidating tool palettes. One tutorial by Corey Barker called Photo Fun was amazing. http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/
Corey was able to take an ordinary photograph of a car and turn it into a cool poster quality image.

There is power in this program. We can make our own posters from pictures that are meaningful to us, take care of old photographs with the spot healer, and eliminate any distractions that may have been captured in a photo. I think I could get addicted to scanning in old photographs and creating digital scrapbooks using PhotoShop Elements. I look forward to the day when I have the time to do that. I have always enjoyed taking pictures and now I can see how to take that hobby to the next level and really do something meaningful with the images. There are endless possibilities.

I will now be forever skeptical of any images that I see. I'll wonder if the image is actual or has been altered. There was a magazine that moved a pyramid in a picture in order for it to appear in cover photo with other pyramids. We know that images of models have been "doctored" for years. I now see that it's really easy to modify anything in a picture. I wonder how wise it is to put images on the web that others can manipulate. You could see your face in a compromising position through digital enhancements...

Photography's Pandora's Box has been opened...

2 comments:

atechtchr2c said...

Hi Barb,

The tools that are available these days are amazing. I wonder if I could create an image of "a more improved" me and superimpose it on my body so that everyone sees where I would want to be at a "few" pounds lighter and no aging signs. LOL

I too wonder about posting images on the web. I once had a friend that took all of the staff pics from my 30th b-day part and add different characters. One person had Don King hair and they put me in a cowgirl hat...you get the picture. Anyway, your comments got me to thinking about a post I made on my blog in a previous week. My comment was about security and how much we want to share our private life with the public. This ties into your concept about how images can be taken and altered from your site....something that makes you go Hmmmmm.

AG

BarbsBlog said...

Anna,

It really does make me go, hmmmm. The web has so much uncharted possibility that I think I will keep my personal life as personal as I can for as long as I can. It's getting harder to do that with the advent of cell phone pictures and videos, and speed, red light, and security cameras. Everywhere we go, we are on candid camera. I'm not ready for Walden Pond, but I really don't like being on public display all the time. I don't have a MySpace or FaceBook page. It baffles me that kids aren't cool until they have their faces and details of their lives on the web. I wonder what I would be like if I were a teenager today. I guess I'll never know. The thought of being so public with my life doesn't intrigue me. However, I would love to see you as a cowgirl!! :-) Barb