Saturday, July 12, 2008

PhotoShop Elements

Hello Cohort

I am really excited about the opportunity to play with PhotoShop Elements. I have been doing some research on it and this is what I have learned. If you order PhotoShop Elements for your school computer from the Howard County purchasing site, it's $26.75.

http://www.howard.k12.md.us/purchasing/contracts/Software/Adobe/AdobeLicense.html

If you want a copy of the loading CD it costs extra > click in the upper right where it says Adobe Media for more info.

One of the Tech Resource teachers said if you purchase a copy for your school computer, you have the rights to put it on one computer at home for that price. (I believe you would need access to a loading CD.)

I know a teacher now who is really in to digital scrapbooking. She uses the full blown version of PhotoShop but says that PhotoShop Elements is amazing, and, perfectly adequate for the needs of most people. If you are interested in pursuing digital scrapbooking, she recommends a book called Digital Scrapbooking by Kerry Arquette to get you started.

I came across a site this week that says that Mark Twain was a scrapbooker:
http://www.pbs.org/marktwain/scrapbook/index.html

Here is an example of a school objective for scrapbooking:
http://www.pbs.org/marktwain/learnmore/activites_scrapbook.html

I really wish we had the the money to buy PhotoShop Elements for our labs, and to have time to use it. I believe that it would be a terrific way for a number of students to shine with creativity.

I'd love to hear your ideas for using PhotoShop at school.

3 comments:

Spicher113 said...

Photoshop beta is online. While it is not nearly as good (my opinion) as even Elements, it is free. And, since it is online, it does not take up nearly as much space on your computer.

Demetri said...

Nice header! did you make those rounded corners on the banner? It looks good with your blogger theme.

BarbsBlog said...

Demetri,

The rounded corners are part of the Blogger template – I can't take any credit for them. I won't be seeing the beach this summer, so this theme is good for my psyche. This was a fun way to explore PhotoShop, ,unlike that "other" assignment...
:-) Barb